A vision is turning into reality, as the BMW Vision iNEXT becomes the BMW iX.
Let’s look at the highlights of the first-ever BMW iX:
- This is the first model based on the new future toolkit of the BMW Group. BMW iX is the latest technology flagship of the organisation, bringing together the latest innovations in the fields of electric mobility, automated driving and intelligent connectivity. A modern minimalist design expresses a futuristic form of driving pleasure.
- BMW iX redefines the successful Sports Activity Vehicle (SAV) concept with its clear focus on sustainability, spaciousness and interior wellbeing. It has Powerful proportions with the exterior length and width of the BMW X5, the height of the BMW X6 and the wheel dimensions of the BMW X7. You will get the luxurious and relaxing feeling of space with a lounge-like ambience for passengers in the five seats.
- Production to get underway in the second half of 2021 at BMW Plant Dingolfing: market launch from the end of 2021.
- The fifth generation of BMW eDrive technology provides standout efficiency. Two electric motors with a maximum output of more than 370 kW/500 hp power the BMW iX from 0 to 100 km/h (62 mph) in under 5.0 seconds. Combined electric power consumption of less than 21 kWh per 100 kilometres (62 miles) in the WLTP test cycle. High-voltage battery with gross energy content of more than 100 kWh ensures a range of over 600 kilometres in the WLTP cycle. That equates to more than 300 miles according to the EPA’s FTP-75 test procedure. (All figures are predicted values based on the car’s current stage of development.)
- Optimised performance over long distances thanks to a high range and state-of-the-art charging technology. DC fast charging at up to 200 kW allows the battery to be charged from 10 to 80 per cent of its full capacity in 40 minutes. Ten-minute fast charge adds 120 kilometres (75 miles)
to the car’s range.
- All-encompassing sustainability concept: electric motor manufactured without using raw materials known as rare earths, high-voltage battery with exceptionally high recycling rate. The power used to produce the battery cells, the high-voltage battery and the vehicle as a whole comes exclusively from renewable sources. High proportion of recycled and natural materials used for the exterior and interior, including FSC- certified wood and leather tanned with olive leaf extracts.
- New technology toolkit enables further advances in the areas of automated driving and digital services. Extremely high level of computing power for data processing, extremely powerful sensors, 5G capability provides the basis for optimised automated driving and parking functions.
- Reduced use of character lines and generously shaped surfaces create an imposing body design. Precisely worked details accentuate the modern premium characteristics and efficiency of the BMW iX. The doors have frameless windows; the tailgate has no separation joints and extends across the whole of the rear.
- Eye-catching, vertical and almost enclosed BMW kidney grille serves as an intelligence panel with integrated sensors, camera and radar technology for advanced driver assistance systems.
- Slimmest headlights ever featured on a BMW Group model. Full-LED headlights fitted as standard, BMW Laserlight with matrix function for high beam available as an option. LED rear lights are also extremely slim and have a distinctive light design.
- Shy tech for the exterior: filler neck for the windscreen washer fluid below the BMW logo on the bonnet, flush-fitted door openers activated at the touch of a button, sensors integrated out of view, rear-view camera with cleaning system integrated into the BMW badge on the tailgate.
- Accents in BMW i Blue accentuate the sustainable character of the BMW iX. Sport package with dynamically designed exterior features and BMW Individual Exterior Line Titanium Bronze available as an option.
- Effective increase in efficiency and range courtesy of intelligent lightweight design and optimised aerodynamics. Weight savings thanks to aluminium spaceframe construction with Carbon Cage. Targeted aerodynamics measures at the front and rear, in the underfloor section and for the wheels reduce drag for an outstanding Cd figure of 0.25. Air Performance Wheels in 21- and 22-inch formats on the options list.
- Totally newly developed architecture for the interior. Vehicle as a whole designed from the inside out. Luxurious feeling of wellbeing created by generous levels of space, a high-quality materials mix, a slim instrument panel, newly developed seats with integral head restraints and an exceptionally large panoramic glass roof. Omission of the centre tunnel creates extra legroom and space for storage compartments, plus a centre console crafted to look like a high-quality piece of furniture.
- Reduced design language and clear, uncomplicated functionality put the needs and wellbeing of the car’s occupants at centre stage. BMW Curved Display spans a fully digital screen grouping made up of 12.3-inch Information Display and 14.9-inch Control Display withsingle-piece, frameless glass surface. Standard 2.5-zone automatic climate control with new and extremely intuitive operation.
- Shy tech for the interior: speakers integrated out of sight, intricately styled air vents, heated surfaces, BMW Head-Up Display’s projector integrated seamlessly and almost out of sight into the surface of the instrument panel.
- Sumptuously designed centre console features an innovative new rocker switch for gear selection, a Touch Controller and an illuminated glass- effect control surface subdivided by feeler bars and with active haptic input for controlling vehicle functions. Optional Clear & Bold specification includes surfaces in open-pore wood and controls with a polished crystal finish.
- BMW iX is the BMW Group’s first series-produced vehicle with a hexagonal steering wheel. Track-inspired contour improves ease of access and gives the driver a better view of the Information Display. Newly designed multifunction buttons; optional steering wheel heating now with three-stage control.
- Panoramic glass roof with electrochromic shading available as an option. Largest glass surface ever fitted in a model from the BMW Group is a single-piece design and spans the entire interior without any cross struts to break it up.
- Optional Bowers & Wilkins Surround Sound System takes the in-car audio experience into a new dimension. Concert hall ambience created by fully active sound system, audio control that responds to dynamic performance, and five individually selectable sound modes. 30 speakers in total, eight of which are integrated into the head restraints of the front and rear seats. Innovative 4D Audio function generated using magnetically controlled ‘shakers’ in the front seats.