Chipset manufacturing giant Qualcomm Technologies have announced the arrival of Quick Charge 3+ technology. This is their latest addition to their Quick Charge family. Quick Charge is the biggest fast charging ecosystem in the world with more than 1000 devices facilitating Quick Charge. With Quick Charge 3+, Qualcomm aims to bring faster charging across a range of affordable devices and providing convenience.
Until now, Quick Charge was only seen on high-end and premium devices which might not have been accessible to all. However, with Quick Charge 3+ devices with Qualcomm Snapdragon 765 and Qualcomm Snapdragon 765+ processors will be enabled with wilt the Quick Charge 3+ which will be followed by other new Snapdragon platforms across tiers in 2020. Xiaomi’s Mi Lite Zoom which is powered by Snapdragon 765G is the world’s first smartphone with both Quick Charge 4+ and Quick Charge 3+ charging technology.
Some features of the Quick Charge 3+ :
- Fast Charging with better efficiency: 0%-50% in 15 minutes, 35% faster and 9 degrees Celsius cooler comparing to previous generations.
- Quick Charge 3+ will support industry-standard USB type A-to-type C cables and accessories that support scalable voltage with 20mV steps from Quick Charge 4, which are more affordable for OEMs and consumers
- Quick Charge 3+ is backwards compatible with previous-generation Quick Charge devices and newer devices can work with Quick Charge 3+ accessories thereby always providing the most flexible charging experiences
- Other key features include: Integrated cable power capability/identification, various safety mechanisms
Additionally, Quick Charge 3+ will bring in the following benefits to the table for smartphone manufacturers
- Scalable architecture to allow OEMs to a move to higher charge power with the same software implementation and address different system requirement in terms of PCB design, charger IC location, etc.
- Support of ultra-fast charging with lower-cost, variable voltage charging accessories such as Quick Charge 3+
- Eliminating the need for external components such as OVP (Over Voltage Protection) chip, sense resistor and others
- Support of two input, wireless and wired (SMB1396)